Sunday, July 13, 2008

Growing Up (Ryan Blog Excerpt)

**NOTE--Ryan Blog Excerpt

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

When I was a kid, I always dreamed of being a knight and standing alone before hordes of demons and monsters. There would be thousands of them all lined up, ready to destroy me and everything I was defending. Knowing that I was the only one standing in thier way, I would lift my sword and charge headlong into the fray.

As an illustration, one of my absolute most favorite scenes ever in a movie comes from The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. Near the end, when Sauron's army is advancing and it appears that gondor will fall--a fleet of ships arrive supposedly carrying reinforcements for the orc armies. Then comes my favorite part: Aragorn leaps over the side of the boat, surveys his surroundings, lifts his sword and proceeds to charge headlong into an ocean sized army of orcs! The best part of that scene is that Aragorn is not alone! He is supported by an endless army of undead warriors who are near invincable and ready to destroy anything that stands in thier way. How cool is that?! I'll tell you how cool it is, cool enough that I bought a replica of Aragorn's sword, Anduril. That's cool.

Oh but wait, there's more! I am learning for myself that growing up is not always a breeze. Often times the odds are stacked against us, and sometimes it can look like a sea of demons ready to destroy us. It's true, I saw it in a movie once. But that's ok. We can have the courage to charge straight into the mess with confidence when we realize that we do have help on our side just as Aragorn did.

One of my favorite scriptural events is when Elisha the Prophet is standing alone with his servant looking out over an army of thousands, waiting to destroy them. Understandably, Elisha's servant is a little concerned and he asks Elisha what should be done. I love Elisha's faithful and confident reply, "Fear not, for they that be with us are more than they that be with them." At this point, I envision the servant thinking, "Elisha, you ok man? Maybe you're a little older than I thought you were...". At this point Elsiha does the best thing, he prays and asks the Lord to show the servant the assistance that Elisha sees. The servant's eyes are opened and sees legions of angels standing by ready to help. Picture the Lord of the Rings scene, but with an old man and his young servant. Now that's really cool!

The promises given to Elisha and the rest of covenant Israel are still available. However they are conditional. The Lord chooses them that choose Him and enter into a covenant with Him. It is this promise that gives me the courage to take up my sword, stare the enemy in the eye, and charge in because they that be with us are more than they that be with them. In other words, they don't stand a chance!

So life, I say give me your best shot! I've kept my covenants, and the Lord will keep His. I can take whatever you throw at me.

No comments: