Sunday, July 13, 2008

Tom and me go to the movies (Ryan Blog Excerpt)

**Note--Movies are definitely mine and Ryan's favorite free time activity together.. Also, Tom would be Ryan's mom in this story...he went to see the movie with his mom that night :)* PAM

Saturday, June 30, 2007

I wanted to write something else tonight...but I have writer's block.

Tom and I went to go see the new movie, "Live Free or Die Hard" with Bruce Willis--who after this movie is definitely a man's man. The movie was pretty awesome. I thought that it was just going to be a shallow summer destruct-o movie, but I was pleasantly surprised. It had tons of action, an intriguing story, and it was pretty dang funny as well. But you didn't come here for a movie review, I'll leave that stuff up to the guys over at Rottentomatoes.

Instead, I want to tell you about the people we saw at the movie theater. And we saw all kinds! Most likely some of you have run into these kinds of people in your own movie going experiences. Before I go on, I would like to point out that I am not trying to insult anyone. These are embellished generalities, and strictly a joke! No one should take offense to this, and I apologize to anyone who does.

The Enthusiast: These people fascinate, and worry me all at the same time. These are the individuals who become so engrossed in the film that they think they are a part of it. There is nothing like having the lead character present a solution to the terrorist threat on screen and then have the enthusiast yell out, "DO IT!" When things are looking grim for the heros, you can always count on the enthusiast to lend support, "Don't die McLane! You can do it!" Then there is my personal favorite: when some amazing feat is accomplished onscreen and he/she bellows "WOW! Did you see that!?" No, I didn't, I'm in a different theater watching a different movie--of course I saw it!

The Nit-Picker: No matter what movie I go to, there always seems to be one these on hand to ruin a good show. Tonight there were two. These are the worlds foremost experts on everything. Commonly heard phrases from the nit-pickers include: "There's no way he could fall that far, it would break his legs!" or "That doesn't actually exist!". Tonight I kept hearing behind me, "Oh please, that would so kill anyone!" First off, it's not just anyone, it's Bruce Willis and he's invincible and you're not. So get over it!

The Interrogator: These people couldn't follow a movie if it was leading them by the hand. You've all dealt with it at one time or another. The person next to you doesn't have a clue what's going on. "Who is that?" "What are they doing?" "Why did they just kill that guy, wasn't he with them?" "He's not with them? Well then who is he with?" WATCH THE MOVIE! Gee whiz they haven't even finished the credits!

The Excuser: These types are why the middle seats are so treasured among movie goers. The Excuser comes into the theater armed to the teeth with a tub of popcorn, enough soda to fill a swimming pool, and a two year olds ability to sit still. Every ten minutes: "Excuse me, I gotta get a refill" "Excuse me, I have to go to the bathroom" "Excuse me, I have to call home and check on my dog"... I think it would be great if these people had reserved seating on the outside of every row.

I love the movies. Sometimes I love seeing the people as much as the movie :)

No comments: