Sunday, July 13, 2008

Under Construction (Ryan Blog Excerpt)

**Note--Ryan would probably die if he knew I posted this gushy blog...but I'm not posting it for anyone but our kids anyways...I just want it to matter to them.** PAM

Saturday, June 30, 2007

Two of my favorite shows of all time have been Seinfeld and M*A*S*H. One of the reasons that I love these shows was thier willingness to experiment and look for new ways to tell a story. For example, no one thought it would be good television to do an entire episode about waiting in line for a table at a busy chinese restaurant, or film an entire episode from the first person perspective. Sure, when one explores new ideas one can fail miserably but on the flip side, one can also find something really great!

No doubt, everyone who has read my blog has wondered at some point, where in the world did that come from? That's a very fair question... so I'll answer it.

I am still very new to the blog scene. Thus, I am still exploring and experimenting with different writing styles and techniques. I haven't become as entertaining or profound a blogger as Kyle...but I'm working on it ;)

I love to write about me and Tom. You all know Tom as the founder of Myspace. To me, he's a composite of real people that I have associated with during my lifetime. And contrary to popular belief, the Tom and me stories are mostly true...Occasionally I like to share things that I have learned from my own life experience in hopes that it might be of benefit to someone else. Sometimes, I just like to sit here and free write. I'll turn on iTunes and write to the music. When the song changes, the subject and tone change as well. As is the case right now :)

I really enjoy having a creative outlet to express myself. Sometimes I'll draw or paint something. Once in a while, I'll film a movie--which is not very easy when you are by yourself I might add. But lately, it's fun to blog. It really helps me keep things in perspective and remember that I'm ok.

I would encourage anyone to find something creative/artisitc to try. And don't even say "I'm not creative" or "I'm not an artist". That's horse hockey! Art is whatever you want it to be: Anywhere from photography to cooking, or legos to singing in the shower. The only "rule" (I use that term loosely here) is that it has to be you. All that really matters in art is that you enjoy it. When you find something you enjoy, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks because it's you and you can be proud of that.

Remember the little kid who brings home artwork from school to his mom? Nobody can really tell what he's drawn, but the fact is, he drew it and that makes him and his artwork special.

So go on, do what you want to do--just don't sit there and do nothing. Don't be afraid to explore and experiment. The whole thing is a learning process to help you learn about yourself and that means that sometimes you will fail. I'll keep looking for my niche in this whole blogging thing, and that means that sometimes you might read something that's a bit goofy. I admit some of my stuff is dumb, but I am learning... and that's the point.

Remember, when you create something you are special. And whatever you've created is special because you made it. We're all in this together, and I'm pullin' for ya :)

No comments: